I’d like to tell you about the Mother Motherland, but rather about how I saw Kiev bird's eye view.
There is a memorial complex in Kiev “National Museum of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945”, it consists of various exposures, the bowl "Fire of Glory”, museum etc. Complete map can be viewed here. But the most remarkable thing is certainly the monument “Mother Motherland”. The total height of the monument is 102 meters + bonus: it’s located on a hill.
Recently there was opened the observation deck on the shield of sculpture - the height of 92m above the ground. That's where we are going to go up.
1. Here you will find yourself. Mother Motherland in full growth!
Each story has its own prehistory, so as here. To climb to the Mother Motherland was part of our "mission" in Kiev, but we kept delaying it off or just forgot. So, that is the last day of our stay in Ukraine – we met together and drove off.
All personal things before the rise can be put into the storage chamber. You are put on "security belt" and led into an elevator. You go in the narrow elevator with fitters. After the elevator you are snapped with hooks to the red rope and that is all, in front there are stairs and manhole outside.
2. Everyone is to crawl through such a small hole…
3. On the top
The height of sculpture (not to be confused with the overall height) is 62m. Its weight is 500 tons. For the first time in the USSR the sculpture of such dimensions was produced at the Kiev Factory of Paris Commune taking into account the recommendations of the Institute of Welding by Paton according to welding of stainless steel elements in separate blocks-sections, weighing 25-30 tons. During the installation there was laid over thirty kilometers of welding seams. At the highest point of the sword there is a special device for damping wind loading.
According to the experts, the sculpture should stand for 150 years. What will be at the end of these years, we hardly see. It is to be capable of withstanding an earthquake of 9 points.
The sculpture, just like the Memorial is a complex and unique mechanism. It was repeatedly pointed out in a variety of ratings.
4. Difficult to shoot? :) So you paid 200 UAH ($ 25) not for the convenience.
5. Kiev bird's-eye view. In fact, this is not the top. Fitter has left to open the next manhole leading directly to the shield.
6. Turn your head left, and there:
7. Let us not waste time, because we have not much of it (if memory serves me correctly, then I could stay only 10 minutes on the shield).
It was originally planned that the Mother Motherland would be covered with gold leaf. Precisely, it was initially assumed that on the pedestal there will be 80 meters bronze gilt statue of a woman. At the foot of the statue there was to be a 30-meter height waterfall flowing into the Dnieper River, on both sides of which the soldiers forced a crossing a river. After the death of Vuchetich the work was led by the Ukrainian sculptor Vasiliy Boroday. The composition has had significant changes then.
8. On the shield there is the Emblem of the Soviet Union.
To transport people and maintenance of sculpture there are assembled two elevators inside - inclined and vertical (moving on rollers at an angle of 75 degrees), there are equipped platforms for inspection. One of the elevators lifts up to the "head" of the Mother Motherland with nine stops, where are manholes and technical grounds. One can get into a "hand" with a shield and into the other one - with a sword. There are also the fitting platforms.
9. 16-meter long sword!
10. It weighs 9 tons
11. We now turn to the views. Assumption Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - one of the first monasteries since the founding of Rus (founded in 1051 by Yaroslav the Wise).
12. The highest building in Ukraine. When the building finishes, it will be 162.5m.
13. Housing Estate “Silver Breeze” and Paton Bridge. Kiev bird's-eye view.
14. Navodnitsky park, bridge of Paton
15. Fitters in the cage begin to worry, it's time to go down.
16. This is not the end of the tour, I recommend you to go to the Great Patriotic War Museum, which is located at the base of the sculpture.
17. Bonus photo: I saw it when came down
18. What could it mean?